Sunday, December 27, 2009

Ladybugs, Wildflowers, and S.W.A.T. Teams



Sometimes it seems that I have the uncanny ability to get into trouble, even when I am not looking for it. Trouble seems to find me in the most unlikely places.

Until recently, I worked third shift, and struggled to sleep during the day. So, I would do something to unwind, after work.

One morning, on my way home, I stopped to take photos of some wild flowers that were in an un-mowed field. The field was next to the school my son attends.

I parked near the school, and walked a short distance into the field. I sat down in the tall grass, and began taking photos of some of the wild flowers. The grass was tall enough that only the top of my head could be seen above the grass.

After a few shots, I saw a ladybug land on a bud, near me. As I carefully inched closer to that flower bud, I noticed a Sherriff’s deputy parked in the left turn lane of the road in front of the field. I finished taking the photo, and looked over my shoulder.

The Sherriff’s car was still parked there, and it was obvious that the officer was watching me. So, I slowly turned around, and said “Morning officer, can I help you?”

The officer looked at the camera hanging from my neck, and let out a very loud sigh. I walked over to the car, to see what was going on. The officer told me that someone had called the Sherriff’s office to report a man in the tall grass, near the school. As he pulled up, he could only see the top of my head, and the handle of my tripod sticking up out of the tall grass.

He then informed me that from a distance, the handle of my tripod looked like it could be a gun barrel. So, they were considering calling in backup, and arresting me. If they thought I had a high powered weapon, they might have even called the S.W.A.T. team.

I can see it on the evening news. The cameras are rolling as they lead me away in handcuffs. I look at the camera and say, “I was just taking pictures of flowers!!!!”

Only I could get into that type of trouble, while taking photos of ladybugs and wildflowers. I am glad that God was watching over me, and the situation didn’t escalate.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should be thankful the cop wasnt trigger happy and looking to make a name for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Sounds like something I would do!!! :)
    Too funny....luckily, you were only "shooting" lady bugs!!!

    ReplyDelete