Sunday, December 27, 2009

God's Christmas Gifts This Year



Christmas is a day to give to others, but this year, God gave some amazing gifts to me.

I was dreading Christmas day this year, because my 12 year old son, Joel, wouldn’t be home. According to the temporary order, Jane was to have Joel from Wednesday evening the 23rd, till noon on Sunday the 27th.

Through a series of events at her place, and compassion in her heart, Jane called and offered to let Joel spend Christmas day with me. I got him Christmas Eve, and most of the day Christmas day.

The next blessing was provided through my church family. Gene and Vi are a wonderful couple that I often sit with in Sunday School. I don’t know them well, but they know most of what has occurred with the separation, and pending divorce.

Gene asked me to join them for Christmas dinner. I was reluctant, but they gently pushed every Sunday, for nearly a month. I told them that my mother and father would be there. Vi told me the more the merrier, and continued to insist that we share the holiday with them.

It was with some mild trepidation, that I accepted their offer. I had forgotten that they are raising a wonderful young man named Caleb. Caleb is 1 year younger than Joel. When we walked in the door, the 2 of them immediately connected. Knowing Joel had a friend to play with, allowed me to relax, and set everything off to a good tone.

There was some awkwardness at first. They had not met my father, or mother. The awkwardness didn’t last long, as we began talking about the blessings that God has given us. There was a bonding that often happens when God’s people get together.

There was a lot of laughter. Not the stiff laughter that you would expect, but genuine, warm laughter. Vies mother and Glyn hit it off well, and their interaction was often the driving force for the laughter.

There was also compassion. Gene has been laid off since April, and is considering going back to school. They have been going through some rough times, and we were able to learn more about them, and how to pray for them.

I tried not to dwell on it, but I did spend a little time giving them more details of what I have gone through the last few months.

The laughter really did do my heart good like a medicine, and I found myself immensely enjoying this Christmas, and the wonderful fellowship that God had provided. I felt refreshed, renewed, and felt God’s presence in that home.

We had to leave far too early, so I could get Joel back to his mom’s. God’s Spirit was present in that place, and we had the type of fellowship that only God’s children can experience. All the differences between us vanished, because a common bond that is the center of our lives, our relationship with Jesus Christ. Any differences were dwarfed by the one principle that guides our lives.

I can’t thank Gene and Vie enough for opening their home to a broken family this year.

God gave me so much this Christmas. It was His birthday, but Jesus showered me with gifts. This first Christmas as a single father could have been lonely, bitter, and painful. Instead, God blessed me through His people, and it was a wonderful Christmas that I will always treasure.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,
    I wish I had invited you here! We would have loved to have you. It sounds like you had a wonderful time where you were. What a beautiful story. I love your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God will always open a door as he closes another....we just have to look for that open door..

    I thought I had a friend in photography, but turns out he must not have been a friend in the first place....now it's my job to find that next open door.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete