Friday, May 28, 2010

Rough Morning with Joel



Having a child with Aspergers can be difficult. Sometimes, no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to connect with him. He is in his own world.

This morning was a good example. On the way to school, I was trying to get Joel to talk about his upcoming day, but he kept changing the subject. He asked me if I like roller skating, which he knows I don’t. I told him that I would take him, and I was glad he enjoyed it, but I don’t skate. He ignored my statement, and told me how he wants us to go skating together, and just assumed that I will learn how to skate. He didn’t hear a word I said.

Then, out of the blue, Joel changes subjects, and ask “wouldn’t it be great if we really could build a time machine and go back and forth in time”. I told him that it would be cool, but I have a hard enough time just trying to keep up with one day at a time. He proceeded to spend several minutes talking about this, and then went quiet.

As we pulled up to the school, I gave Joel a hug, and told him to have a good day. We are in line to drop him off. I stop the car, and he picks up a little toy and starts pretending it is a tank, complete with sound effects for explosions. He knows we are in line, and other cars are waiting for him to get out of the car, so I can pull forward. But, Joel is now completely in this fantasy. He has no intention of getting his stuff, and getting out of the car.

I got frustrated, and grabbed the toy out of his hand a lot more harshly than I meant to. I could feel the frustration of all the parents in the cars behind me. He got startled, and I could see tears starting to well up. But, instead of comforting him, I told him in a very gruff voice that I needed him to focus on getting his stuff and getting into the school.

Joel got his stuff, and closed the door. I could see the hurt in his eyes as I drove off. But, I couldn’t stop the line of cars longer to comfort him. As I drove to work, I felt like a complete heel. Even now, as I take a few minutes to type this, I just want to cry.

I love my son, but I do get very frustrated. He is 13, but emotionally, he seems to be at about 8 or 9. That is why he gets along well with kids that are 3-4 years younger than him, but not kids his own age. It is a large part of why he is being bullied terribly at school. He also goes into his own internal world, and when he does, it is hard to get him back into reality.

Some days, I feel like a complete failure as a parent, because I struggle so much to reach Joel. I know that this is not unusual for parents of Aspies, but it doesn’t lessen the pain any.

I only get Joel one weekend out of 4, but I have him every weeknight. So, most of my time with him is spent getting his homework done, and getting ready for school the next day. I feel like I am the drill sergeant, and Jane is the fun one on the weekends.

I want this weekend to get off to a good start, and I blew it this morning. All I can do is apologize for being so rough with him this morning, and just go on.

I know that I need to stop trying to connect with him so hard, and just accept the fact that our interactions may only be on the surface. Yet, I feel a longing to connect on a deeper level with him. It leaves a very large, empty hole in my heart.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, a friend of mine send daily inspirational messages and I thought the one I received this morning might just have been intended for me to pass it on to you:
    (while this as I read it is more in line with life changes... most change starts with a 1 step at at time approach) When you read this think of one instance at a time... apply it to your morning with your son....
    "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins" Mark 2:22, NKJ

    Are you ready for increase? Are you ready to go to the next level spiritually, physically and emotionally? In today's verse, Jesus is basically saying that you can't go to a new level with an old way of thinking.
    I've found that many people hear the truth that God has more in store for them, and something resonates on the inside. Their spirit comes into agreement with God. But often times, their natural minds will try to talk them out it. Thoughts come like, "It's not going to happen for you. You're not going to have a great year. You know what the economy is like." Or, "You're never going to get well. You saw what the medical report said." "You're never going to get married. You've been single so long."
    Friend, those are the old wineskins that you have to get rid of. This is a new season. What's happened in the past is over and done. You may have been through some disappointments, you may have tried and failed or things didn't work out. That's okay. We serve a God of restoration. It's time to get a new vision for your life. It's time to open yourself to a new way of thinking so that you can move forward and receive all the blessings God has in store for you!
    Prayer for today:
    Father in heaven, today I choose to get rid of old wineskins. I choose to release old thinking, old habits, and anything that would keep me from Your best. Strengthen me by Your Spirit so that I can live my life in a way that pleases You. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mark, you should have stopped the car, gotten out and told Joel you were sorry, maybe even walked him to his class.

    Learn how to roller skate, its not hard and its great exercise, I promise you, you will not be the only one there who cant skate.
    When Blake wanted to go, thats exactly what I did.

    Joel is a special needs child, he will always be in his own little world.
    Go eat lunch with him one day a month, cant you get Jane to pick him up from school on a friday and you stay at work to catch up on the work that you missed?

    Even if Jane is the "fun Parent" she still has to deal with his problems....just like you do.

    Being a parent is the hardest job you will ever have to do...but it can be the best job at the same time.

    We as parents have GOT to put our own wants and needs to the side, and deal with our childrens wants and needs.

    Just make him feel loved and wanted by you is about all you can do for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Julie. I needed to hear that. Establishing new patterns of behavior is one thing I still need to work on.

    Lee, you aer right. I should have parked, and went to get Joel. But, I will do what I can tonight.

    I don't know about the skating. I tried to learn it when I was young, and never could get any good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Mark. Your stories and concerns are exactly what others in similar situations need to hear. Your love for Joel shows in your concern and remorse, your recognition of his needs and feelings. Life is a struggle for everyone, mistakes happen and lives are affected, even in small ways. Productive reflection (not the dwelling, destructive kind) and open communication help form the "new patterns of behavior" that will help you continue to grow as a person and parent.

    On a side note, my mother hated skating. When my sisters and I begged to go, she stayed involved by being on the sidelines and giving us tasks and timing us (go to x spot, then y, then come back here)or arranging races with the other kids. I find myself doing things like that with my nieces and nephew. I don't want to run around like a chicken with no head, but I'll watch you and offer suggestions for safe and inventive fun so I stay "cool" and involved without falling on my face trying to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately no kid comes with an instruction manual and you are doing the best you know how to do. Joel knows that you love him. We are praying for you both and remember we are just down the road if you ever need anything. I have an email that I will send you later.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like every day in my life with Ian. It's easy to know what you should have done AFTER the fact, but very difficult always respond correctly in the heat of the moment.

    ReplyDelete