Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Perspective



One of the most valuable things beginning photographers learn is to change their perspective. Looking at any subject from different angles will often drastically alter the photo.

These photos of a hibiscus are a great example. The front of the flower was pretty, but the photo looked like a hundred other images taken by other photographers.

When I walked behind the flower, however, I found something really surprising. The light coming through the flower created a star pattern between the petals. The petals themselves created a second star, and the leaves behind the flower formed a third star. By taking the time to walk around this flower, and really look closely, I found something extraordinary.

This can also be a metaphor for life. How many times do we walk by something, yet never see it? How many times have we seen a friend, asked how they were doing, got the standard “fine” in reply, and not taken the time to really look at their faces? They might be hurting, and need someone to listen, but we don’t take the time to really look at them. We barely make eye contact, and don’t want to hear anything except “fine”.

How many times do we miss opportunities to minister to others? How much of a difference could we make if we really saw people, and took the time to go beyond the surface? If we notice that our friend or co-worker is not “fine”, and gently ask them if they are ok, many people will open up. Taking the time to really listen to them, and be there for them, can make a real difference in their lives.

We are so busy. When we don’t take time to get to know people, we miss out on more than just opportunities to help others. We also miss out on the friendship, laughter and joy that they could bring into our lives.

I am guilty of this. My life is so busy that I practically run from one place to another. It is far too easy to not connect with anyone, even my own son.

Joel is autistic, and has a tendency to get absorbed in his own world. I have to slow down, and really work at making a connection. Yet, I get so busy making a living, doing dishes and laundry, and making sure Joel gets his homework done that if I am not careful, I miss out on so much. Joel is 13, and is struggling with the beginning of puberty and all that it entails.

Joel is starting to question what it is to be a man. I don’t want him to base his manhood on what television portrays a man to be, or pop culture. I want to take the time to teach Joel about integrity and protecting those he loves.

He is starting to think about girls. I don’t want him to adopt the media’s view that all that matters is physical beauty. I want to teach him how to treat women with respect, and help him to not make mistakes that could destroy his life, and the life of some young lady.

I need to slow down, and take the time to be the parent that Joel needs me to be, and the friend that those around me need.

I need to change my perspective, be more observant, and take the time to show God’s love in tangible ways to those around me.

4 comments:

  1. Alot of people can learn from this post Mark.
    I have started taking a few extra minutes to talk to the ones I care about....you never know which one just needs to talk about what may be wrong in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspective, Mark. Just taking time to let other's know we really care makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too often we judge things by preconvceived notions or at face value. Thankfully, our heavenly father looked beyond what he sees in our "outward man" and has a heavenly, eternal perspective in mind when he looks at us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful!

    Thank God for good friends like yourself that show they care and reach out and ask if there is anything they can do for you.

    I found out recently who my real friends are, when I slipped on water, fell and twisted my knee until I heard a loud pop and tore my cartilage. It was interesting to see all those people I did things for (I used to do free Meetups at my house providing food, drinks and supplies), that did not even wish me well, and the few really good friends that showed they cared. I mean I didn't actually expect the help, but it was so nice to hear someone ASK if they could help, just like you Mark. Thank you...it meant so much to me.

    I wish people would stop just thinking of themselves and help those in need or at least wish them well. We need to treat others the way we would want to be treated.

    I think you are doing a wonderful job with your son and all you can do is just be there for him and listen. Teenage years are tough on everyone, so hang on and keep the faith and love for others.

    Your friend for life,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete